Savory Beef Recipes
Ghostly Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Recipe from Betty Crocker®
Treat your little ghosts and goblins to a tummy-warming stew that looks them right in the eye!
Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:55 min
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 1/2 cups Green Giant® frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups Progresso® diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained (from 28-oz can)
- 1 jar (12 oz) beef gravy
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cups Betty Crocker® Potato Buds® mashed potatoes (dry)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray. Add beef and onion; cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Set 12 peas (from frozen vegetables) aside for garnish. Add remaining frozen vegetables, tomatoes and gravy to beef mixture. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat water, butter and garlic powder to boiling. Remove from heat; add milk. Stir in dry potatoes and cheese. Add egg; blend well.
- Spoon beef mixture into ungreased 8-inch square (2-quart) or oval (2 1/2-quart) glass baking dish. With large spoon, make 6 mounds of potato mixture on top of beef mixture to resemble ghosts. Place 2 reserved peas on each mound to resemble eyes.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are set and mixture is thoroughly heated.
1 Serving: Calories 390 (Calories from Fat 150); Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 100mg; Sodium 630mg; Total Carbohydrate 39g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 7g); Protein 24g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 15%; Iron 20%
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 2 Medium-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.