Homemade Breads and Buns
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Scones
Bread of the Day
Sunday, December 12, 1999
Submitted by: Bonnie Gudikunst
Makes 8 scones.
Delicious ‘pick-me-up-snack’ any time of the day for chocolate chip lovers.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanila or almond extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400° F (205° C). Lightly butter a 9 inch diameter circle in the center of a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes, and distribute evenly over flour mixture. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into the flour mixture. Stir together buttermilk, egg, and extract; add to the flour mixture, and stir to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. The dough will be sticky.
- Spread the dough into an 8 inch diameter circle on the baking sheet. Cut with a serrated knife into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 17 to 19 minutes, or until the top in lightly browned. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer scones to the wire rack to cool, and recut into wedges.
- Serve warm, or cool completely and store in airtight container.