Homemade Breads and Buns
This recipe resembles a Scottish Bannock. You will need to prepare for this recipe by cleaning and saving 10 (ten) 14 ounce tin cans.
Creamed corn and evaporated milk tins are best because they are specially coated.
- 2 tsp. soda
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 or 4 cups (minimum of 3) of any combination of: raisins, currants, fruit, coconut, nuts
- Mix the soda and water and let stand.
- In a large bowl, blend the next 7 ingredients.
- Blend in the soda-water mixture.
- Add fruit mixture.
- Fill greased empty tins half-full.
- Bake 45-60 minutes at 350° F.