Homemade Breads and Buns
Sunflower Seed and Oat Bread
Makes 4 loaves or 48 buns.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp. Fermipan yeast
- 4 tsp. sugar
- 4 cups water
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 1/2-5 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg white
- Sesame seeds
- Add sugar to 1 cup of warm water and sprinkle the yeast on top.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the rolled oats, sunflower seeds, oat bran, oil and molasses.
- Melt butter in 4 cups of water and add to mixture while still very warm, not hot.
- Add 2 cups of whole wheat flour and beat 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of white flour and beat for 5 minutes more.
- Add enough of the remaining flour for a soft dough and knead for 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, covered with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled. About 1/2 hour.
- Punch down and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into loaves or buns, cover and let rise again until doubled, about 1/2 hour.
- Brush loaves gently with egg white plus 2 tbsp. water.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake at 375° F for about 45 minutes for loaves, 25 minutes for buns.