Homemade Breads and Buns
Potato Pancakes - Oven Pancakes - Sourdough Pancakes - Ginger-Oat Pancakes
These are truly delicious and rich. I often use cream mixed with the milk!
- About 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mashed potatoes OR 2 small finely grated raw potatoes
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 - 2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt, if desired
- 2-3 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- Butter or Margarine for frying
- Add baking soda, salt and brown sugar to flour. Sift. Set aside.
- Beat eggs well with wire whisk or electric mixer.
- Add milk and vanilla to the eggs and beat until frothy (about 1-2 minutes).
- Gradually add the egg/milk mixture to the flour, stirring with a wire whisk as you add the liquid.
- Add the potatoes to the flour/milk mixture and beat well. (Add more flour if necessary to make a semi-thick batter.)
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Heat skillet over medium/high heat (not too hot!) and add butter.
- Pour batter into skillet, making small pancakes; about 3 inches wide and about 1/4 - 1/2 inched thick.
- Reduce heat if using raw potatoes and cook the cakes slowly.
- Brown well on both sides.
- Serve hot with butter and applesauce or maple syrup.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Beat eggs slightly.
- Add flour and milk and beat.
- Melt 1 tbsp. butter in each of two 9-inch pie plates.
- Pour in batter.
- Bake at 425°F for 10-15 minutes.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp. yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Add to a mixture of 1/2 cup warm water and 1 cup flour.
- Cover bowl (not a tight cover) and let stand in a warm place 4-5 days.
- Put the Sour Dough Starter in a jar (only half full), cover and place in the fridge.
- The night before you use it, mix 2 cups flour and 1-3/4 cups warm water in a bowl; add all of the starter. Let sit overnight.
- Take out one cup for a new starter.
- For pancakes: To bowl, add 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup milk, 1 tsp. salt, 3 tbsp. sugar.
Great served when you've got company.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3 egg whites or 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. grated orange peel
- Boil water; add oats; remove from heat.
- Combine dry ingredients; stir in eggs, milk, peel and oatmeal.
- Cook small pancakes on a med-high greased griddle or fry-pan.