Homemade Breads and Buns
Pepper Cheese Bread
This recipe goes great with Chicken Salad!
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup hottest tap water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp soda
- 1 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Grease two 1-lb. coffee cans, washed and well dried.
- In large mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in hot water.
- Add 11/2 cup flour, the sugar, salt, soda, sour cream, and egg.
- Blend 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat 2 minutes on low speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in remaining flour, cheese, and pepper.
- Divide batter between cans.
- Let rise in a warm place for 50 minutes.
- Batter will rise slightly, not double.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pans immediately.