Homemade Breads and Buns
Traditional Plain White Bread
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp. margarine
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups flour
- (2 eggs) if making buns
- Combine 1/2 warm water and 1 tsp. sugar.
- Sprinkle with yeast. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir well.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups water, milk and margarine.
- Heat until liquids are warm and margarine melts.
- Stir in 3 tbsp. sugar and salt. (add eggs for buns)
- Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Add yeast.
- Beat in 2 cups of flour until smooth.
- Stir in additional flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise for about one hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn the dough onto a floured board, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into loaves or shape into 24 buns.
- Place in greased loaf pans, cover and let rise for about one hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake 45-55 minutes at 375°F for bread or 30-40 minutes at 400°F for buns.