Home Baked Cakes and Muffins - (Discretionary Foods)
Simple'n Delicious Chocolate Cake
Submitted by: J. Miller
A very simple to make chocolate cake that I developed while trying to combine my chocolate and coffee cravings. It tastes so good no one will believe how easy it was! (It can be frosted with chocolate or coffee icing but I like it plain.)
Makes 1- 8 inch cake
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup plus 4 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold coffee (make it strong!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour an 8 inch pan.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with coffee.
- Beat until just incorporated.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.