HOMEMADE COOKIES AND SQUARES
First Lady Laura Bush’s
Oatmeal-Chocolate Chunk Cookies
From: First Lady, Laura Bush
Mrs. Bush shares a recipe for her delicious Oatmeal-Chocolate Chunk cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light-brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups quick oats (not old-fashioned)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 packages (8 ounces each) chocolate chunks (3 cups)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped dried sour cherries
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- With electric mixer, cream butter and both sugars.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and oats; slowly beat until blended.
- Stir in walnuts, chocolate and cherries.
- Drop by tablespoonsful onto cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Makes about 8 dozen.
· More Homemade Cookies and Squares Recipes