HOMEMADE COOKIES AND SQUARES
Cutout Sugar Cookies
From: Better Homes and Gardens
Pre-heat oven to 375°F before baking.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Dash salt
- Beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping bowl.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover and chill dough for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half at a time to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using a 2-1/2 inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut into desired shapes.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375°F oven 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned.
- Cool on a rack.
Makes 3-4 dozen.
· More Homemade Cookies and Squares Recipes