BEST FLAKY PASTRY
From Betty Crocker Baking
- 1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- Mix flour and salt in medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas.
- Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball.
- Shape into flattened round on lightly floured surface.
- Wrap flattened round of pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold, yet pliable.
- This allows the shortening to become slightly firm, which helps make the baked pastry more flaky. (If refrigerated longer, let pastry soften slightly before rolling...)
- Roll pastry, using floured rolling pin, into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate.
- Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate.
- Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate; flute as desired.