Cookie and Cake Recipes
HOLIDAY SURPRISE SUGAR COOKIES
From: Betty Crocker®
Easy cookie mix jump-starts holiday cookie baking. Surprise family and friends with these sweet treasures.
Prep: 1 hr 15 min
Start To Finish: 1 hr 45 min
Makes 4 dozen cookies
- 1 pouch Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- Red and green food colors
- 16 thin rectangular crême de menthe candies, cut into thirds
- Assorted Betty Crocker® colored sprinkles, sugars, decors and decorating gels
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In medium bowl, stir cookie mix, melted butter, egg and flour until soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- Tint one-third red and one-third green with food colors; leave one-third plain.
- Keep dough covered tightly until ready to use.
- On floured surface, roll each third of dough until 1/8 inch thick.
- For round cookies, cut with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter; for square cookies, cut into 1 1/2-inch squares using sharp knife. (Dip cutter or knife in flour for easier cutting.)
- On ungreased cookie sheet, place half the cookies 1 inch apart.
- Place 1 candy piece on center of each cookie; top with another cookie.
- Gently press edges together to seal, using tines of fork.
- To decorate before baking, sprinkle cookies with colored sprinkles, sugars or decors as desired.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Decorate with gels as desired.
Variation: Instead of the crême de menthe candies, use one of the following in each cookie: Piece of a milk chocolate candy bar (1.55 ounces), separated into small rectangles, each cut into thirds (larger baking or candy bars will be too thick);
Small round chocolate-covered creamy mint; 1/4 teaspoon toffee bits.
· More Holiday Recipes
· Christmas Cookbooks
· Holiday Cookbooks and Baking at Jessica's Biscuit®
· Holiday Cookbooks and Baking at Amazon.com