Cookie and Cake Recipes
From: Betty Crocker®
These delightful treats are a welcome addition to any cookie tray. The colorful bites are filled with your favorite jelly.
Prep: 20 min
Start To Finish: 1 hr
Makes 3 dozen cookies
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix brown sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolk in medium bowl.
- Stir in flour and salt until dough holds together.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Beat egg white slightly.
- Dip each ball into egg white.
- Roll in nuts.
- Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press thumb deeply in center of each.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Fill thumbprints with jelly.
Did You Know... These cookies were often called Thimble Cookies in older cookbooks because bakers used a thimble to make the indentation.
· More Holiday Recipes
· Christmas Cookbooks
· Holiday Cookbooks and Baking at Jessica's Biscuit®
· Holiday Cookbooks and Baking at Amazon.com