Many people are lost when it comes to getting from point A to point B in life. No compass is going to help you get there. Luckily, famous self-help guru Jack Canfield has a great sense of direction and he's sharing his skills in his latest work, The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be (HarperCollins).
From the man who co-created Chicken Soup for the Soul comes the ultimate blueprint for achieving your goals -- and it's just in time for your New Year's resolutions. If you're sick and tired of making vows that never come to fruition, then Canfield has the perfect prescription.
Whether you're looking to make money, lose weight or improve personal relationships, you can achieve success with Canfield's advice based on research he's gathered over the last 40 years. The ultimate motivator has compiled 64 practical principles that can be applied to seven key categories including finances, career and job, physical fitness and health, relationships, personal goals, community goals and free time.
The Success Principles isn't your run-of-the-mill self-help manual. While other good-intentioned guides come across as dry and dull, Canfield keeps it lively by illustrating his principles through inspirational stories he accumulated while interviewing more than 50 people for his new book.
Chicken Soup For the Soul offered plenty of "life's lessons" but The Success Principles is packed with hundreds of success strategies.
Whether your goal is to become a leading architect, buy a dream home, score straight A's in school, make a million dollars or lose 20 pounds, you can quickly put The Success Principles to work for you.
In many instances, Canfield speaks from experience. The author, no stranger to battling the bulge, once lost 34 pounds in two months by eating healthy, exercising and drinking plenty of water. (EDITOR'S NOTE: eDiets experts do not advocate losing more than 2 pounds a week.) Although it was no easy feat, Canfield admits he practiced what he preaches and put the success principles to work for him. He got himself a partner so he was accountable to someone. And he never gave up -- even after he slipped.
"You don't give up," he says. "There of lots of people in the diet realm who will cheat or fall off the wagon. The trick is to get back on. Don't quit. Don't give up. You have to be disciplined. Do hard things.
"The main thing is to get back on track. I teach people to do affirmations. Mine is 'I'm feeling alive at 185.' I went from 225 to 191 pounds. This year my goal is to get down to 185.
"I have my affirmation on 3"x5" cards and I place them on my mirror and on my fridge. You need to remind yourself every day what your goal is."
Canfield says it's crucial to always stay focused. Another helpful hint is to create a visualization tool for attaining your goal. It could be a picture of you when you were at your goal weight in the past or you could take a picture of an individual whose figure you admire and paste your head on the photo.
"You have to change your image of yourself," Canfield tells eDiets. "Successful people surround themselves with images of what they want to achieve. This programs the unconscious and reminds you of the things you have to do to get where you want to be. Close your eyes and create the image of you at the ideal weight you want to be."
Here are Canfield's comments on the seven main points in his Success Principles book:
1. Take 100 Percent Responsibility For Your Life. One of the greatest myths that is pervasive in our culture today is that you are entitled to a great life. That somehow, somewhere, someone is responsible for filling our lives with continual happiness, exciting career options, nurturing family time and blissful personal relationships, simply because we exist. But the real truth is that there is only one person responsible for the quality of the life you live. That person is YOU.
2. Be Clear Why You're Here. I believe each of us is born with a life purpose. Identifying, acknowledging and honoring this purpose is perhaps the most important action successful people take. They take the time to understand what they're here to do -- and then they pursue that with passion and enthusiasm.
3. Decide What You Want. One of the main reasons most people don't get what they want is that they haven't decided what they want. They haven't defined their desires in clear and compelling detail. What does success look like to you?
4. Believe It's Possible. Scientists used to believe that humans responded to information flowing into the brain from the outside world. But today, they're learning instead that we respond to what the brain, based on previous experience, expects to happen next. In fact, the mind is such a powerful instrument it can deliver to you literally everything you want. But you have to believe that what you want is possible.
5. Believe In Yourself. If you are going to be successful in creating the life of your dreams, you have to believe that you are capable of making it happen. Whether you call it self-esteem, self-confidence or self-assurance, it is a deep-seated belief that you have what it takes -- the abilities, inner resources, talents and skills to create your desired results.
6. Become An Inverse Paranoid. Imagine how much easier it would be to succeed in life if you were constantly expecting the world to support you and bring you opportunity. Successful people do just that.
7. Unleash The Power Of Goal Setting. Experts on the science of success know the brain is a goal-seeking organism. Whatever goal you give to your subconscious mind, it will work day and night to achieve. To engage your subconscious mind, a goal has to be measurable. When there are no criteria for measurement, it is simply something you want, a wish, a preference, a good idea.
Get your copy of Jack Canfield's The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be.
It's time to shoot for the stars -- you know you're worth it! eDiets can help you succeed -- with 21 fantastically effective programs to choose from, we'll help you reach your dieting goals. Click here to complete a free profile and get started losing today.
Disclaimer: ALBERTAROSE.ORG (THE SITE) DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE, IS NOT A DIETICIAN, AND DOES NOT NECESSARILY AGREE WITH THE INFORMATION CONTAINED WITHIN THIS ARTICLE. The Site and the content are provided on an "as is" basis. The information gathered is correct to the best of our ability at the time collected. However, the information could change at any time. You agree this information is for personal use and YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY using the information contained. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL ALBERTAROSE.ORG OR ANY THIRD PARTIES MENTIONED ON THE SITE, BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF USE OF ALBERTAROSE.ORG