Quick and Easy Salad Favorites
Baja Chicken Pasta Salad
Recipe from Mary Jane Kelly
Makes 6 servings
* The chicken breast should be boneless, skinless and weigh about 3/4 lb.
- 3/4 lb chicken breast *
- 6 oz dried mixed fruit **
- 1 cup ring macaroni or orzo, raw
- 1 cup jicama; cubed
- 2 green onions/tops, sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 tsp red chiles, ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tblsp sour cream or plain yogurt
** You should use one 6-oz package of diced mixed fruit.
- Heat enough salted water to cover the chicken breast (1/4 tsp salt to 1 cup of water) to boiling in a 4 quart Dutch oven. Add the chicken breast.
- Cover and heat to boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is done, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon.
- Heat the water to boiling and add the fruit and ring macaroni or orzo gradually so that the water continues to boil. Boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, just until the ring macaroni is tender, about 6 to 8 minutes or 10 minutes for the orzo, then drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Cut the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces and mix with the fruit, macaroni, jicama and onions.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and toss with the chicken mixture. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
Other Recipes by Mary Jane Kelly:
· Baja Chicken Pasta Salad
· Garlicky Pasta Chicken Salad
· Pasta Salad with Ham
· Mexicali Pasta Salad
· OK Corral Salad
· Pasta Salad
· Pasta Rings/Spicy Cucumber Raita
· Seafood Pasta Salad
· More Salad Recipes