Quick and Easy Salad Favorites
Conch (Snail) Salad
Recipe from Charlie Byrne
- 2 cups chopped *conch
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper (can use green or red if you want)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- Several cloves chopped garlic
- A few chopped jalepeno or habernero peppers, omit if you're timid.
- FRESH Juice of 10 lemons - no bottled juice allowed under any circumstances!!!
- Few tblsp of olive oil
- Some spices such as oregano, parley, thyme, celery seed to taste.
- Sometimes I add a little cumin, not too much!
Chop it all up, mix it together, serve on a bed of lettuce.
Better after 2 days in frig, although in the tropics some don't even refrigerate it.
*Conch is a common name for certain large marine snails. They are gastropod mollusks. Conch is the second best known edible snail, the first being escargot from Burgundy, France. Conch has been a popular food source throughout the Caribbean since the time of the Arawak Indians, before Christopher Columbus.
· More Salad Recipes