Quick and Easy Salad Favorites
Cuban Tofu Salad
Recipe from Marilyn Walker
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast with salt, pepper, and paprika added to taste
- 1 lb new potatoes
- 1 good-sized sweet potato or yam (6-8 inches long)
- 1 mild tasting apple (Golden Delicious is good), sliced or chopped
- 4 eggs, hard cooked, sliced
- 1/2 cup green peas, cooked until still slightly firm
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 can asparagus tips
- mayonnaise (about 3/4 c.)
- about 2 tblsp dill weed
- vinegar, mustard, or "Durkee's special sauce"
- Cut tofu into 1" squares, 1/2" thick. Coat with nutritional yeast.
- Fry in oil over medium heat until golden brown and slightly chewy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Cut potatoes and sweet potatoes into 1" cubes. Boil until tender. Drain.
- Mix together tofu, potatoes, apple, 3 of the eggs, peas, and onion.
- Add enough mayonnaise to make it creamy or to taste.
- Add dill weed, fresh if possible.
- Add enough vinegar, prepared mustard, or Durkee's Sauce (basically a mustard-vinegar sauce) to give it a tang.
- Garnish with additional egg and asparagus spears.
- Sprinkle with paprika for beauty.
Variations and substitutions: Broil the tofu to reduce fat. It won't have a nice chewy texture, though. Substitute chicken for the tofu (as in the original recipe). Substitute plain, non-fat yogurt for some of the mayonnaise to reduce fat content.
· More Salad Recipes