Quick and Easy Salad Favorites
Garlicky Pasta Chicken Salad
Recipe from Mary Jane Kelly
Source: "The Garlic Lovers' Cookbook", Volume II. The Gilroy Garlic Festival.
- 6 whole heads of fresh garlic
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 rosemary sprigs (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves or 1 tsp dried
- 8 oz corkscrew pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut in strips
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- lettuce leaves
- Separate cloves of garlic and drop into boiling water for 1 minute.
- Drain and peel.
- Place peeled cloves in small saucepan with oil and optional rosemary sprigs.
- Cook gently, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes or until garlic is tender.
- Discard rosemary sprigs and puree garlic with 1/2 cup of the olive oil, basil, and the rosemary leaves.
- Place pasta in large bowl and add garlic puree, chicken, onion, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Add more olive oil if needed to moisten salad.
- Let salad sit for 1 hour at room temperature (provided its not a hot room that will invite bacteria to go nuts!) or refrigerate, returning mixture to room temperature before serving.
- Toast walnuts in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Stir into the salad and serve over a mix of crisp, chilled lettuces.
- Makes 6 servings.
The large amount of garlic, cooked slowly in rosemary-scented olive oil, develops superb flavor.
Other Recipes by Mary Jane Kelly:
· Baja Chicken Pasta Salad
· Garlicky Pasta Chicken Salad
· Pasta Salad with Ham
· Mexicali Pasta Salad
· OK Corral Salad
· Pasta Salad
· Pasta Rings/Spicy Cucumber Raita
· Seafood Pasta Salad
· More Salad Recipes