Quick and Easy Salad Favorites
Warm German Potato Salad
Recipe from Grandma Epple
- 6-10 red potatoes, peeled and quartered (Norland are Best)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled, *reserve drippings
- 2 Tbsp. butter (margarine)
- 1/ 3 cup vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. brown mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes in water until just tender, drain and set aside.
- After frying bacon, sauté onion in the bacon drippings.
- Remove onion from drippings and set aside.
- Cube the cooled, but not cold, potatoes.
- Stir in the onions.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter (margarine) to the bacon drippings and warm over low heat until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and slowly "whisk" in the flour untill smooth.
- Return to low heat and whip constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whip in the vinegar, sugar, brown mustard, water, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until well mixed and slightly thickened. (Add more water if too thick!)
- Remove from heat and pour over the potatoes and mix well.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and crumbled bacon pieces and serve warm.
- Tastes great cold too!
* Canola Oil can be substituted for the 2 Tbsp. butter and bacon drippings. The flavor won't be the same, but it's still delicious!
· More Salad Recipes