Quick and Easy Salad Favorites
Pasta Rings In Spicy Cucumber Raita
Recipe from Mary Jane Kelly
Source: "Cold Pasta" by James McNair
- 2 medium-sized cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp minced or grated yellow or white onion
- 2 cups plain yogurt (use the low-fat; the non-fat is chalky tasting)
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp finely minced fresh mint or parsley
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lb anellini or other small pasta rings
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh mint or parley sprigs (garnish)
- cucumber slices (garnish)
- Combine grated cucumber and onion in a small non-metallic bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze dry.
- Whisk yogurt until creamy smooth. Add cucumber mixture, garlic, green onions, tomato, lemon or lime juice, minced mint or parsley, cumin. Salt and pepper to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Chill as long as overnight.
- Cook pasta in 4 quarts boiling water until very al dente. Drain and rinse well in cold water, then drain again. Place in a large bowl and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally to keep pasta from sticking together.
- Combine pasta with yogurt mixture. Garnish with mint or parsley sprigs and cucumber slices.
In addition to being very good, this cold side dish is "heart-healthy". Excellent served with spicy meats. (Serves 10-12 as side dish)
Other Recipes by Mary Jane Kelly:
· Baja Chicken Pasta Salad
· Garlicky Pasta Chicken Salad
· Pasta Salad with Ham
· Mexicali Pasta Salad
· OK Corral Salad
· Pasta Salad
· Pasta Rings/Spicy Cucumber Raita
· Seafood Pasta Salad
· More Salad Recipes