Quick and Easy Salad Favorites
Warm Red Cabbage Salad
Recipe from Stephanie da Silva
- 15 to 20 walnuts, about 3/4 cup, shelled
- 2 tsp walnut, or possibly an inexpensive oil
- 1 small red cabbage (about 18 oz.)
- 1 crisp red apple
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 oz. goat cheese, broken into large pieces, I have tried feta or chevre and they work well
- 1 tblsp parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh marjoram, finely chopped (or 1/8 tsp dried)
- salt, pepper
- Toss the walnuts with the 2 tsp of oil and some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast the walnuts in a 350 F oven for about 5-7 minutes or until they smell toasty.
- Quarter and core the cabbage. Cut the wedges into thin pieces, 2 to 3 inches long and set aside.
- Cut apple lengthwise into sixths, cut out the core, then slice the pieces thinly, crosswise.
- Put the garlic, vinegar, and oil in a wide saute pan over a medium-high flame. As soon as they are hot, add the onion and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage, and cook for about 2 minutes. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and more vinegar, if necessary.
- Add the goat cheese, apple, herbs, and walnuts.
- Toss briefly and carefully before serving.
Other Recipes by Stephanie da Silva:
· Marinated Salad
· Pork and Papaya Salad
· Prawn Salad
· Roast Beef Salad
· Spaghetti Squash and Avocado Salad
· Tortellini-Pesto Salad
· Warm Red Cabbage Salad
· Layered Salad
· Cabbage and Pineapple Salad
· Jalapeno-Pineapple Coleslaw
· Singapore Noodle Salad
· Zucchini and Mushroom Salad
· Grand Marnier Soufflé
· More Salad Recipes