Quick and Easy Salad Favorites
1. Tuna Salad
Recipe from Curtis Jackson
- albacore tuna, chopped very fine and drained
- lots of sweet pickle relish (optional)
- lots of finely minced red and or purple onion,
- garlic powder (to taste)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- pinch of cumin
- *eggs (optional)
* Note: Some folks add eggs -- I don't.
- Use white albacore tuna, chopped very fine and drained extremely well (squeeze it if you have to). If you don't drain it nearly dry, it will hide its moisture until you refrigerate it (either before you serve it or the leftovers after) and then become a watery mess.
- Add mayo and lots of sweet pickle relish. I like the sweetness to offset the saltiness of the tuna.
- Mix this to the desired texture-moisture level, a bit on what you think is the dry side. Then add the remaining ingredients to your desired taste.
- Mix it extremely well. You will now find that the garlic powder and cayenne have soaked up a tiny bit of moisture, and it may seem too dry. IT ISN'T! If you are setting this out at a party, be sure to wander by every now and then and mix it up well -- that'll keep the moisture from settling to the bottom.
- You can also vary the taste by replacing some of the mayo with sour cream.
- Serve aboard good high-quality non-crumbly "stoned" wheat crackers; the stronger the cracker's wheat flavor, the better.
2. Tuna Salad
Recipe from Unknown
- 1 can tuna (in spring water)
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 can sliced water chesnuts
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Combine all ingredients.
- Also can add hard boiled eggs.
· More Salad Recipes