Quick and Easy Salad Favorites
Zesty Zucchini Chickpea Salad
Recipe from Janet "Mostly Harmless" Morrissey
- 3 medium zucchini (about 6 oz. each)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tblsp white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or more if you like garlic)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves, crumbled (or 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, minced)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup drained canned chickpeas
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 canned chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, drained, seeded, minced
- 1 ripe avacado
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta or 3 tblsp grated Romano cheese
- 1 headBoston lettuce, cored, separated into leaves
- sliced tomatoes and cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Cut Zucchini lengthwise into halves; cut halves crosswise into 1/4-inch-thich slices.
- Place slices in medium bowl; sprinkle with salt.
- Toss to mix.
- Spread on several layers of paper towels.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to drain.
- Combine vinegar, garlic, and thyme in large bowl.
- Gradually add oil in thin, steady stream, whisking continuously until dressing is thoroughly blended.
- Pat zucchini dry; add to dressing.
- Add chickpeas, olives, and onions; toss lightly to coat.
- Cover; refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours, stiring occasionally.
- Add chili to salad just before serving.
- Stir gently to mix.
- Peel, pit, and cut avacado into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add avacado and cheese to salad; toss lightly to mix.
- Serve salad in shallow lettuce-lines bowl or plate.
- Garnish with slices of tomato and springs of cilantro if desired.
More Recipes by Janet "Mostly Harmless" Morrissey
· Maple Syrup Soufflé
· Zesty Zucchini Chickpea Salad
· More Soufflé Recipes