Soufflé: Quick and Easy
SOUFFLÉ AU COEURS D'ARTICHAUTS
Artichoke (and ham) Soufflé
From: Margarete Vischer
*Pronounced: sue flay / oh / kur / dar tee show
For the base:
- 16 oz. artichoke hearts (if canned, rinse them in boiling water, then drain well)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 oz. Black Forest ham or Canadian bacon, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups milk, scalded
- 4 oz. grated Gruyère
- salt, freshly ground pepper, freshly ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 6-cup soufflé dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Cut the artichokes in half and fry them in 2 tablespoons of the butter until golden brown.
- Place them on the bottom of the soufflé mold and sprinkle the ham over them.
- Melt the butter and stir in the flour, cook about 2 minutes to remove the raw flour taste.
- Add the 2-3 tablespoons of the milk and whisk to combine. Then slowly add the rest of the milk.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly then add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the grated Gruyére.
- Beat the egg whites until they are smooth and shiny, but not stiff.
- Fold the beaten whites under very gently.
- Pour into prepared dish, smooth top and make a crosshatch on top of the soufflé. Run your thumb around the edge to make a shallow indentation around the rim.
- Put in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
· More Soufflé Recipes