Soufflé: Quick and Easy
SOUFFLÉD CHERRY SOUP
From: Fredy Girardet: By 'Soup', we mean what many people would call a compote.
- 2-1/4 lb Black Cherries - stoned (about 14 oz.)
- 1 oz. unsalted butter
- 2 oz. sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 egg whites
- 2-1/2 oz. sugar
- 1-1/2 oz. lemon juice
- One day in advance, put 400 g (14 oz) stoned cherries into a frying pan with the butter.
- Cook them gently until the juice runs.
- Add the sugar and continue cooking until the sugar slightly caramelises. At this point, pour in a generous dash of kirsch and flambé it.
- Take the pan off the stove.
- Put the cherries into a strainer to drain them, and keep the juice.
- Just before serving, pre-heat the oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Divide the cherries between four little soufflé dishes 6 cm (2-3/8 inches) in diameter and just cover them with their juice.
- Prepare the soufflé mixture.
- Put the egg yolk into a basin with 35 g (1-1/4 oz) sugar. Beat it until it becomes pale and fluffy.
- Add half a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- In another basin, whisk the egg whites to firm peaks with the rest of the sugar, then fold in a tablespoonof lemon juice.
- Fold the whites delicately into the yolk mixture using a spatula.
- Top up the moulds with the soufflé mixture.
- Bake the Soufflé at the bottom of the pre-heated oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve IMMEDIATELY.
· More Soufflé Recipes