Soufflé: Quick and Easy
SOUFFLÉ AU JAMBON
*Pronounced: sue flay / oh / jah mboh(n)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Madeira
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 lb.ham (an type of ham may be used, but a Black Forest ham will give the most intense flavor)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- butter and flour for 4 cup soufflé mold
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Butter and flour the mold.
- Bring the milk to a boil over medium heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks together with the water.
- Add the flour to the egg/water mixture and whisk until completely smooth.
- Just before the milk boils, pour 1/4 cup of it into the egg and mix.
- When the remaining milk boils, add it to the egg/milk mixture and stir very well. Pour it all back into the saucepan.
- Over med-high heat, whisk until mixture thickens and boils, making sure you reach all areas of the pan as you whisk.
- Continue to whisk vigorously for 1 minute, it will become shiny and easier to stir.
- Reduce the heat to medium and season it with pepper. Add the ham, Madiera and mustard.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the warm soufflé base into a bowl and stir in about 1/3 of the egg whites to lighten it.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour into the prepared mold, level with a spatula.
- Bake on the lowest rack in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 425°F and bake for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
· More Soufflé Recipes