Homemade Soups and Stews
- 3 or 4 pork hocks (large ham bone) or 1/2 lb raw, boneless pork, cubed
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- enough water to cover
Make broth from bones/meat and onions, cooking for about 2 hours. Strain the broth. Remove the meat from the bone and chop. Discard the fat and bones. Place the broth and meat in a large pot and heat.
Chop and Add:
- 4-8 small beets and greens, peeled and chopped
- Any and all raw garden vegetables, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Bring the vegetables to a boil, but not boiling. (Boiling can cause "scum".) Reduce heat to a low setting and simmer for 2 hours, covered. Adjust seasoning.
Just before serving, gently stir in 1 cup heavy cream and continue to simmer over very low heat for about 10 minutes more, or until the soup is hot. Do Not Boil.
Serve immediately with freshly baked bread or buns.
· More Soups and Stews Recipes