Makes 6 to 8 servings
Homemade Soups and Stews
FAVORITE BEEF STEW
- 3 carrots, cut lengthwise into halves, then cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4-1/2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 3/4 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the following order: carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, basil, pepper, bay leaf, beef, tomatoes with juice and broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove beef and vegetables to large serving bowl; cover and keep warm.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Turn slow cooker to HIGH; cover.
- Stir water into flour in small bowl until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup cooking liquid; mix well.
- Stir flour mixture into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour sauce over meat and vegetables.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information: Nutrients per Serving: (1/6 of stew): Calories: 364; Calories from Fat: 20 %; Total Fat: 8 g; Cholesterol: 95 mg; Carbohydrate: 29 g; Fiber: 3 g; Protein: 43 g; Sodium: 279 mg;
Dietary exchanges: Starch: 1; Vegetable: 2; Meat: 4-1/2
· More Soups and Stews Recipes