Homemade Soups and Stews
Serves at least 10.
- 1 - 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 or 3 14-oz. cans Italian style stewed or chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 3 cans beef consomme or broth
- 1 can tomato soup
- 4 carrots, sliced and diced
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 3 or 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 - 2 cups fresh peas (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. thyme or savory
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. onion powder (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish with chopped fresh parsley
- Brown hamburger and onions; add garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper.
- Drain well.
- Combine the cooked hamburger and onions with the remaining ingredients in a large pot.
- Simmer, covered, for at least two hours — or all day. The longer this cooks, the better it tastes!
· More Soups and Stews Recipes