Homemade Soups and Stews
DEB’S NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 lb. butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 or 3 cans of baby clams
- reserved clam juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Olive Oil
- 1 can peas with liquid
- 2 cups very warm milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Parsley Sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Drain the baby clams, reserving the liquid.
- Combine potatoes, celery, carrot and the reserved clam juice in a large kettle.
- Add enough water and/or chicken broth to cover vegetables.
- Cook over medium heat for one hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Fry the onions and garlic in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil until translucent and add to soup pot.
- Add the baby clams and peas.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and using a wire whip, stir in the flour.
- Mix well then remove from heat.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk into the butter/flour mixture.
- Return to medium heat and whisk continuously with wire whip until thickened and creamy.
- While stirring the soup, slowly add the milk mixture.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper and serve immediately, garnished with a sprig of Fresh Parsley.
· More Soups and Stews Recipes