CANDIED SWEET POTATOES
This is the classic made-from-scratch sweet potato recipe. It's easy and can be completely cooked on top of the stove.
Prep Time: 15 min
Start to Finish: 50 min
Makes: 6 servings
- 6 medium sweet potatoes or yams (2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scrub sweet potatoes, but do not peel.
- Place potatoes in 3-quart saucepan. Add enough water just to cover.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; cool slightly. Slip off skins.
- Cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Heat remaining ingredients in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly.
- Add potatoes.
- Gently stir until glazed and hot.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 185 (Calories from Fat 55 ); Total Fat 6 g (Saturated Fat 1 g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 260 mg; Total Carbohydrate 34 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g); Protein 1 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 100 %; Vitamin C 22 %; Calcium 4 %; Iron 4 %
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Substitution: Make this extra fast and easy. Just omit step 1, and use 1 can (23 ounces) sweet potatoes or yams, drained and cut into 1/2-inch slices, in place of the fresh sweet potatoes.
Variation: Make Pineapple Sweet Potatoes by omitting the 3 tablespoons water and adding an 8-ounce can of crushed pineapple in syrup, undrained.
· Cookbooks at Jessica's Biscuit®
· Cookbooks from Amazon.com
· WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SWEET POTATO AND A YAM?